POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : geocities and copyright Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  geocities and copyright (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Matt Giwer
Subject: geocities and copyright
Date: 1 Jul 1999 00:31:34
Message: <377AEF35.9A58326F@giwersworld.org>
The solution to this is rather simple but tedious, spread the
word.

	Geocities makes its money on ads. Earnings are based upon the
number of impressions, that is, how many people see it. The way
to get them to change that copyright provision is to remove your
website from geocities. That reduces their traffic and therefore
their earnings. Be certain to tell them why you are removing your
website when you do it.

	Options, find a local ISP that gives webspace instead of one
that does not. The price with and without is usually the same.
Offering webspace is a $300.00 HD and an hour to configure it.
Some places just don't want the maintenance hassle.

	Buy webspace. Despite AOL's really shitty webserver you get five
user names with 2Megs each for your total of 10M. AND since the
lawsuit they have really good connection service. AND they have
switched to internet standard IP connections meaning you can
connect to AOL and use ALL of your non-AOL software, treating AOL
the same as a local ISP.

	Before it sounds like I am praising AOL, the above and the extra
name anonymity is about the only thing AOL is good for.

	Other web space is usually $20 per 10M per month and $1 or $2
per month per meg over that. Keep your JPEG quality no better
than needed for good viewing and 10M should hold 150 or more
images. If you want to publish more than that, you need a life
outside of POV.

	Other free webspace. I have come across a few of them in the
last year, xoom.com comes to mind. There are others.

--
<blink>-------please--don't-----------------</blink>

http://www.giwersworld.org/artsii/
http://www.giwersworld.org/artsiii/