POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How many of you overclock your CPU ? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  How many of you overclock your CPU ? (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: How many of you overclock your CPU ?
Date: 2 May 1999 13:34:40
Message: <372c7ea0.0@news.povray.org>
Johnny Smith <joh### [at] telebotnet> wrote:
:         Uhhhm,  your not going to believe this.  But that was done already.
: And yeah,  it allowed them to run the chip at outrageous speeds!
: What they did was take something like a 486 or something rediculous...
: (I know it wasn't a pentium)  and hook a compressor up to it.  They
: somehow surrounded the chip in a casing,  then used something like compressed
: ammonia or something to super cool the chip.  (if I remember correctly,  they
: lowered the
: temperature to something like -30 degrees F )  They were able to (reliably) run
: this
: 486 or whatever it was,  at something like 600 mhz.  It was a pretty interesting
: article.

  I hardly believe this. If a transistor can't change its state any faster,
then it can't.
  Don't believe everything you read.