POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normal, everyday, white walls Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:38:54 EDT (-0400)
  normal, everyday, white walls (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Rainer Mager
Subject: normal, everyday, white walls
Date: 30 Apr 1999 03:05:20
Message: <37294820.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

    Can anyone suggest a goot texture for a normal, everyday, white wall
(and ceiling)? I've been trying to make a room with just white walls and a
ceiling (and of course stuff in the room) and I'm not getting the results I
want. The problem I'm getting is that the ceiling is much too dark when
compared to the walls. This is somewhat due to my placement of the light
sources (connected to the walls and somewhat high up) so that the angle of
reflection off of the walls and off of the ceiling is drastically different.
    I would like to keep the ceiling and the walls the same exact texture if
possible. If reached a reasonable compromise by having a rather high ambient
value but this seems like cheating to me. Also I'd really like to have
somewhat bumpy walls (kind of light stucco but not quite that bumby). When I
added a bump or crackle normal then this introduced all kinds of problems.
    I realize that both of these normals are supposed to cause dark spots
but I got many very dark, almost black spots throughout the walls and
especially the ceiling. I really just want a slightly bumpy look.
    Anyway, if someone can suggest a good texture I would be greatful.

Thanks,

--Rainer

Post a reply to this message

For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind
Rainer Mager wrote in message <37294820.0@news.povray.org>...
>Hi all,
>
>    Can anyone suggest a goot texture for a normal, everyday, white wall
>(and ceiling)? I've been trying to make a room with just white walls and a
>ceiling (and of course stuff in the room) and I'm not getting the results I
>want. The problem I'm getting is that the ceiling is much too dark when
>compared to the walls. This is somewhat due to my placement of the light
>sources (connected to the walls and somewhat high up) so that the angle of
>reflection off of the walls and off of the ceiling is drastically
different.
>    I would like to keep the ceiling and the walls the same exact texture
if
>possible. If reached a reasonable compromise by having a rather high
ambient
>value but this seems like cheating to me. Also I'd really like to have
>somewhat bumpy walls (kind of light stucco but not quite that bumby). When
>added a bump or crackle normal then this introduced all kinds of problems.
>    I realize that both of these normals are supposed to cause dark spots
>but I got many very dark, almost black spots throughout the walls and
>especially the ceiling. I really just want a slightly bumpy look.
>    Anyway, if someone can suggest a good texture I would be greatful.
>

>Thanks,
>
>--Rainer

Post a reply to this message

Usually the shallow angled light on ceilings does darken quite a bit at the perimeter
if
you look at a room with a central ceiling light at night or in a windowless room. It's
tough to mimick reality using POV, that's part of the challenge. Anyway I have a so
called
material.inc with ceiling and wall textures in it among other things. It dates back to
POV
2.2 but might be good a time as any to post it at the povray.text.scene-files, for
lack of
a better place, not much to write home about though.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

> I've been trying to make a room with just white walls and a
> ceiling (and of course stuff in the room) and I'm not getting the results I
> want. The problem I'm getting is that the ceiling is much too dark when
> compared to the walls. This is somewhat due to my placement of the light
> sources (connected to the walls and somewhat high up) so that the angle of
> reflection off of the walls and off of the ceiling is drastically different.
>     I would like to keep the ceiling and the walls the same exact texture if
> possible. If reached a reasonable compromise by having a rather high ambient
> value but this seems like cheating to me.

I think you could just lower the brilliance (If i remember correctly).
Experiment with it.