POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions
Date: 16 Jan 2004 08:39:29
Message: <4007e991$1@news.povray.org>
When I create a tga in leveller and use it as a height-field, everything is
fine.

However, when I try and use the same tga as a pigment-function in a height
field, it looks like garbage.

I've been able to get around the problem by rendering an orthographic hf of the
tga, applying a gradient pigment, no lights and ambient 1, and then using the
resultant bitmap in my function.

Still, do any leveller users understand the problem? I have to say that loading
the leveller output into PSP shows a much more messy image than I'd expect -
closer to the iso-output than the hf output.

I've put a zip that will show the problem in scene-files.binaries.

Any ideas/insight?

Oh, one final question - I would expect:

F_Img(x,0,z).gray (where F_Img is the pigment function) to return a value
between 0 - 255, so F_Img(x,0,z).gray/255 would return a value between 0 -1.
This, however, returns a completely flat surface, and I find I have to use a
value of around gray/10 to get anything back at all. Huh?

--
#macro A(V,B,C,R)#while(B-256)#if(V-128/B>=0)sphere{0,.5translate<C-4R-1,9>
pigment{rgb<1-C/8R/2C/8>}}#local V=V-128/B;#end#local B=B*2;#local C=C+1;#

Post a reply to this message