POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions : Re: Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Leveller 2 and using hf pigments in iso-functions
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 Jan 2004 13:49:39
Message: <cjameshuff-FAF295.13495916012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <4007feb8$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:

> Hmm, does this mean if I reduce the green by that factor in PSP, and then
> grayscale, I'll also have a workable grayscale img? Tests....  Hmm, hard to
> test (PSP+TOM limitation).

No, this will not work. The values for each channel are stored as 8-bit
integers, with a minimum of 0 and a max of 255. If you divide the green
channel by 255 and then try to save the results to the file, you just
essentially destroyed the green channel...pixels that were 255 will now
be 1, and all other pixels will be 0.

> However, splitting the image into 3 separate images (one for red, one
> for blue, etc.), gives me a usable red image (once grayscaled and
> then .gray in POV).

This is just truncating the HF data to 8 bits. In decimal, the analogy
would be dividing it into 10000 levels, then only keeping the first two
digits...1100, 1200, etc. You lose all the levels in between: 5123
becomes 5100, 3999 becomes 3900, though it's really a hair away from
4000.

> The green channel just has some bumps on it which add little to the
> image, and are pretty irrelvant when using it in an iso (since I want
> to control my own fine detail). I suspect that the green channel is
> used to store the "last applied action", which would make
> single-level undo's easy (which is the only level of undo that
> leveller supports iirc, which makes sense). Thanks, once again.

No. The green channel stores the lower bits of the 16 bit value. The red
channel splits the height field into 256 levels, the green channel
splits each level into 256 more. You want the full 16 bits, *especially*
with isosurfaces. Dropping the green channel will cause stairstepping or
terracing artifacts.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/