POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Followup to "Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm?" Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Followup to "Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm?" (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Followup to "Serious 3.1d/68k/no-FPU bugs.. anyone confirm?"
Date: 26 Mar 1999 22:13:00
Message: <36FC4B80.542BEE42@infomagic.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <36FB1833.6E711D6C@infomagic.com> , Xplo Eristotle
> <xpl### [at] infomagiccom>  wrote:
>
> > The effect is similar to what you get when you blow up an image in Photoshop
> > (using interpolation): the image looks jaggy, but the edges of the jags are
> > blurred together.
>
> I understand now.
> Theoretically this cannot happen at all, we draw plain rectangles using the
> Macintosh toolbox to draw to the screen, and there is no interpolation
> option...if you can verify that this happens with radiosity off (and in
> 3.1e) I will look into this further, especially because this problem has
> never been reported so far.

After some experimentation, I've discovered that it was the radiosity doing
it. Why radiosity would do a blurry, mosaic'd pre-render, though, I have no idea.

Radiosity's behavior also explains the problem I had with The Mosaic That
Wouldn't Die.

> >> However, if you do _not_ touch the application and render preferences dialog
> >> before rendering but POV-Ray still crashes, it would be great if you could
> >> fill out the bug report form in the docs folder and e-mail it to us.

I tried rendering "skyvase.pov" straight out of the box (so to speak) and
there were no problems.

However, trying to render the following (brief) scene set to Quality 9
w/radiosity in a 320 x 240 window crashes reliably, even when rendered
immediately after launching:

camera {location <0,6,-15> look_at <0,2,0>}

light_source {<5,8,-10> color rgb <1,1,1>}

sphere
	{
	<0,2,0>,2
	pigment {color rgbf <1,0,0,.5>}
	finish {specular 10 reflection .4}
	normal {bumps 1}
	interior {ior 1.3 caustics 1}
	}

plane
	{
	y,0
	pigment {checker color rgb <0,.6,.4> color rgb <1,.8,.6>}
	finish {reflection .1}
	}

I tried giving it huge amounts of RAM (it grabbed about 15 MB) but it crashed anyway.

Still want that bug report, Thorsten? :)

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

>> > The effect is similar to what you get when you blow up an image in
Photoshop
>> > (using interpolation): the image looks jaggy, but the edges of the jags are
>> > blurred together.
>>
>> I understand now.
>> Theoretically this cannot happen at all, we draw plain rectangles using the
>> Macintosh toolbox to draw to the screen, and there is no interpolation
>> option...if you can verify that this happens with radiosity off (and in
>> 3.1e) I will look into this further, especially because this problem has
>> never been reported so far.
>
> After some experimentation, I've discovered that it was the radiosity doing
> it. Why radiosity would do a blurry, mosaic'd pre-render, though, I have no
idea.

> Radiosity's behavior also explains the problem I had with The Mosaic That
> Wouldn't Die.

> I tried rendering "skyvase.pov" straight out of the box (so to speak) and
> there were no problems.
>
> However, trying to render the following (brief) scene set to Quality 9
> w/radiosity in a 320 x 240 window crashes reliably, even when rendered
> immediately after launching:
>
> camera {location <0,6,-15> look_at <0,2,0>}
>
> light_source {<5,8,-10> color rgb <1,1,1>}
>
> sphere
>  {
>  <0,2,0>,2
>  pigment {color rgbf <1,0,0,.5>}
>  finish {specular 10 reflection .4}
>  normal {bumps 1}
>  interior {ior 1.3 caustics 1}
>  }
>
> plane
>  {
>  y,0
>  pigment {checker color rgb <0,.6,.4> color rgb <1,.8,.6>}
>  finish {reflection .1}
>  }
>
> I tried giving it huge amounts of RAM (it grabbed about 15 MB) but it crashed
anyway.

> Still want that bug report, Thorsten? :)
>
> -Xplo

Yes, please send the bug report form to pov### [at] csicom. (The fast the
better, 3.1e is on its way...)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: pov### [at] csicom

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.
Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://www.povray.org and
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/povraymac/

Post a reply to this message

>I tried rendering "skyvase.pov" straight out of the box (so to speak) and
>there were no problems.
>
>However, trying to render the following (brief) scene set to Quality 9
>w/radiosity in a 320 x 240 window crashes reliably, even when rendered
>immediately after launching:

<snip scene>

>I tried giving it huge amounts of RAM (it grabbed about 15 MB) but it
crashed anyway.

My system rendered your scene, with quality 9 (+Q9) and radiosity (+QR) at
320x240 with no problems at all.  No crashes or errors....   The scene looks
quite good actually :)

I'm running Win95, POV 3.1e (windows) on a P150 64RAM with High-colour
1024x768 display settings.

Matt

Post a reply to this message