POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meshes and Textures Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Meshes and Textures (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Gordon
Subject: Meshes and Textures
Date: 28 Mar 1999 08:42:59
Message: <36fe31e3.0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

Something funny happened in POV the other day!

I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then I
made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies. What
gives?

In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the texture
goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
independently to do anything else.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, can someone explain what is happening, and
maybe exactly what the effect on the texture is when an object is
moved/scaled/rotated.

Thanks
Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

PS I am putting textures on the blades of grass in my Grass Macro update.
The textures now follow the blades, so you can have striped blades, etc.

Post a reply to this message

> Something funny happened in POV the other day!
>
> I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then I
> made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
> strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies. What
> gives?
>
> In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the texture
> goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
> independently to do anything else.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? If so, can someone explain what is happening, and
> maybe exactly what the effect on the texture is when an object is
> moved/scaled/rotated.
>
> Thanks
> Gordon
> <gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>
>
> PS I am putting textures on the blades of grass in my Grass Macro update.
> The textures now follow the blades, so you can have striped blades, etc.

  Welcome to the world origin concept. If each and every one of your
triangles is created at xyz 0, textured, and then translated/rotated
into position you would preserve the state and position of the texture.
If you construct a mesh of triangles each with it's own vertice location
instead of translating/rotating it into position and then apply a texture
to it the triangle is not built at xzy 0 the texure appearance will
change according to it's offset from 0.

  If that is fuzzy to you I'll try to simplify my response.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Yes, go, simplifiy!!, prefrable in terms the layman can understand :)

Rick