POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meshes and Textures : Re: Meshes and Textures Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:31:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshes and Textures
From: Gordon
Date: 29 Mar 1999 02:20:15
Message: <36ff29af.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36FE37F2.B7CD9051@pacbell.net>...
>Gordon wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Something funny happened in POV the other day!
>>
>> I defined a mesh with textures applied to the individual triangles. Then
>> made several copies of that mesh, rotated and translated differently. The
>> strange thing is, the texture is not in the same place on the copies.
What
>> gives?
>>
>> In every other case I know, if you copy an object and move it, the
texture
>> goes with the object, you have to translate/scale/rotate the texture
>> independently to do anything else.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this? If so, can someone explain what is happening,
and
>> maybe exactly what the effect on the texture is when an object is
>> moved/scaled/rotated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gordon
>> <gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>
>>
>> PS I am putting textures on the blades of grass in my Grass Macro update.
>> The textures now follow the blades, so you can have striped blades, etc.
>
>  Welcome to the world origin concept. If each and every one of your
>triangles is created at xyz 0, textured, and then translated/rotated
>into position you would preserve the state and position of the texture.
>If you construct a mesh of triangles each with it's own vertice location
>instead of translating/rotating it into position and then apply a texture
>to it the triangle is not built at xzy 0 the texure appearance will
>change according to it's offset from 0.
>
>  If that is fuzzy to you I'll try to simplify my response.
>
>--
>Ken Tyler
>
>mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Thanks Ken, but I think you may of misunderstood my description. I will
illustrate with an example.

#declare Fred = mesh{
triangle { <1,1,1>, <1,1,1.5>,<1,1.5,1> texture {T0} }
triangle { <2,1,1>, <2,1,1.5>,<2,1.5,1> texture {T1} }
}

object { Fred } // This one is OK
object { Fred rotate <0,0,45> } // This one is not the same as the other
one! The textures have rotated (I think) 45 degrees the oposite direction to
the mesh.

Does this make sense?

Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>