POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Meshes and Textures : Re: Meshes and Textures Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshes and Textures
From: Ken
Date: 29 Mar 1999 11:52:36
Message: <36FF92AE.4B39F0D0@pacbell.net>
Gordon wrote:

> Thanks Ken, but I am not using unions of traingles, but a mesh object. Can
> you recast your answer to use meshes? Please don't take this the wrong way,
> but I do know about the world origin principle. The fact that the triangles
> don't touch isn't relevant. What I am doing is creating a complete mesh
> object, each of which has a texture assigned to it. Then I want to use LOTS
> of copies of that object. I would assume that like any other object type, if
> I make copies and rotate them the texture goes along.

  The point is that I don't think it will work with meshes period.
What you need is uv mapping or a similar workaround which pov does
not currently support. I may be wrong but this behavior goes back
as long as the mesh object has been in exsistance. You might take
a look at Chris Colefax's tricolor.inc file and see what he does
to apply a different color to each corner of a triangle. I haven't
looked at it myself but it may provide a clue to the  the answer
you seek.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/otherincludes.html

 Other than that I really have no more to offer. I am not trying to
be argumentative or contrary for the sake of it. I personaly feel
the behaviour you are seeing is correct for the model but I have
been wrong before and it might even happen again someday.

  On a side note there really is nothing wrong with using a union of
triangles unless you plan on making a million copies of them. They
were the only thing going before Pov v3.0x came out.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net