POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speed issue on scenes Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Speed issue on scenes (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Spider
Subject: Speed issue on scenes
Date: 12 Mar 1999 18:27:10
Message: <36E91146.ECEAEAAF@bahnhof.se>
Hi, I've been working some with a glass object(a tree, recursed pretty low only
a few hundred objects.) using a fairly high IOR and some caustics, I had planned
to do a check of what the photon-mapping would add to this, but with a render
time at 6pps as it's best in normal POV, I can hardly get it finished..
I need to use AA, or it looks crap, but does anyone have some good AA settings
for a render that won't take the highest of times to use ?

Theese are my ini settings
Width=512
Height=384
Antialias=On
Antialias_Threshold=0.3
sampling_method=1
antialias_depth = 4
jitter=on
jitter_amount = 1

I want it in 512x368 so I can do a quality study of differences that won't be
noticeable in lower resolutions, but to wait 8-9 hours for a render that isn't
really good ??
I had some fairly nice looking textures in there as well, taht have been
discarded, a bozo between reflecting and transparent texture takes _TIME_ to
render. is it possible to speed that one up?

I only have one light_source, a spotlight fairly high up, I use a sky_sphere, to
get a background that will work nicely, so one can see the light breaking
through it. i have a textured sphere as a floor, since the advanced texture on
it made a plane _soooo_ slow.

Yes, I have textures that are problematic to render, since I wanted to see how
ligh broke the views, but this effect is almost silly...

I can post the source here, if anyone think they can help me with this.
Or, does anyone here have a quad-alpha, or anything higher than a p166 that htey
have connected to internet, freely giving access to me to run POV on it?
Probably not, but I thought it worth asking :-)

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I've been working some with a glass object(a tree, recursed pretty low only
> a few hundred objects.) using a fairly high IOR and some caustics, I had planned
> to do a check of what the photon-mapping would add to this, but with a render
> time at 6pps as it's best in normal POV, I can hardly get it finished..
> I need to use AA, or it looks crap, but does anyone have some good AA settings
> for a render that won't take the highest of times to use ?
>
> Theese are my ini settings
> Width=512
> Height=384
> Antialias=On
> Antialias_Threshold=0.3
> sampling_method=1
> antialias_depth = 4
> jitter=on
> jitter_amount = 1

You might try disabling jitter and rely on the AA feature alone. The two
used together is probably what's eating up the CPU time. First you tell
it to juggle the pixels around and then you are telling it to fix it.
Not the most optimized conditions for speed I'm afraid.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

Well, I don't have a Quad-Alpha, in fact I don't have the fastest
computer here by a LONG shot, but it is faster than yours, and I don't
mind 6-8 hour renders.  Send me the files...I'll render it for you.

Steve

Spider wrote:

> Hi, I've been working some with a glass object(a tree, recursed pretty low only
> a few hundred objects.) using a fairly high IOR and some caustics, I had planned
> to do a check of what the photon-mapping would add to this, but with a render
> time at 6pps as it's best in normal POV, I can hardly get it finished..
> I need to use AA, or it looks crap, but does anyone have some good AA settings
> for a render that won't take the highest of times to use ?
>
> Theese are my ini settings
> Width=512
> Height=384
> Antialias=On
> Antialias_Threshold=0.3
> sampling_method=1
> antialias_depth = 4
> jitter=on
> jitter_amount = 1
>
> I want it in 512x368 so I can do a quality study of differences that won't be
> noticeable in lower resolutions, but to wait 8-9 hours for a render that isn't
> really good ??
> I had some fairly nice looking textures in there as well, taht have been
> discarded, a bozo between reflecting and transparent texture takes _TIME_ to
> render. is it possible to speed that one up?
>
> I only have one light_source, a spotlight fairly high up, I use a sky_sphere, to
> get a background that will work nicely, so one can see the light breaking
> through it. i have a textured sphere as a floor, since the advanced texture on
> it made a plane _soooo_ slow.
>
> Yes, I have textures that are problematic to render, since I wanted to see how
> ligh broke the views, but this effect is almost silly...
>
> I can post the source here, if anyone think they can help me with this.
> Or, does anyone here have a quad-alpha, or anything higher than a p166 that htey
> have connected to internet, freely giving access to me to run POV on it?
> Probably not, but I thought it worth asking :-)
>
> --
> //Spider
> ( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
> #declare life = rand(seed(42))*sqrt(-1);

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I don't have a Quad-Alpha, in fact I don't have the fastest
> computer here by a LONG shot, but it is faster than yours, and I don't
> mind 6-8 hour renders.  Send me the files...I'll render it for you.
>
> Steve

Well, I had to go to school for exams, left it running, and it worked pretty ok.
I also found what was eating the cpu.. A texture that was both transparent and
reflecting isn't a good thing. oops :-)

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]
#declare life = rand(seed(42))*sqrt(-1);

Post a reply to this message

> You might try disabling jitter and rely on the AA feature alone. The two
> used together is probably what's eating up the CPU time. First you tell
> it to juggle the pixels around and then you are telling it to fix it.
> Not the most optimized conditions for speed I'm afraid.
oki. Thanx