POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The misunderstandings page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  The misunderstandings page (Message 11 to 20 of 26)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: The misunderstandings page
Date: 12 Mar 1999 11:11:34
Message: <m3emmu1ydl.fsf@clodomir.rezel.enst.fr>
Nieminen Mika <war### [at] cctutfi> writes:

>   Targa supports also compression. Can you specify which kind of
>   compression?

Run length encoding (RLE).  One group of consecutive pixels of the
exact same colour is coded on two (resp. three or four) bytes as a
whole instead of one (resp. two or three) byte for each pixel.  This
allows to use only two bytes to code one hundred pixels if they have
the exact same colour (assuming we are in an eight bits per pixel
image).  Of course, if you have horizontal gradients, this increases
the size of the file instead of diminishing it, but it generally
behaves The Right Way.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas