POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The misunderstandings page : Re: The misunderstandings page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misunderstandings page
From: Spider
Date: 12 Mar 1999 18:26:50
Message: <36E907F3.56A69E5A@bahnhof.se>
Anthony Bennett wrote:

> >  So which formats are better than the other?
> > If you had to use a scale of 1 - 10 ...is png better than jpeg, gif
> > etc.
> > I assume the bitmap is the best, or maybe not...you tell me.
Hmm, a question here, the Huffman compression technique that is used in many of
the newer compression algorithms(RAR, ARJ and so on) is used in the zip format
as well, If I'm not misunderstanding what I read. But, as far as I know, the PNG
uses a dynamic compression table, in difference to the standard zip algorithm
that uses a static table. am I correct or totally lost in my compression?

Another file format I'd like some tips on is the FIF(Fractal Image Format)
I had a compressor/viewer for this once, but lost it as so many otehr progs.
Anyone has anything on where I can find a program that can store to this? It was
very good at shrinking files, admittedly with loss, but the technique used made
it possible to zoom into the image in a totally different way than any
rasterized(bitmapped) format allows.

--
//Spider
( spi### [at] bahnhofse ) [ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]