POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The misunderstandings page : Re: The misunderstandings page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The misunderstandings page
From: Ken
Date: 12 Mar 1999 11:45:51
Message: <36E943FE.487554C8@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   I started another page with the same idea of the VFAQ page: The
> common misunderstandings page. The intention of the page is to clear up
> some common misunderstanings people have about computer related things
> (mainly about topics related with povray, graphics, etc). The page has
> only one entry right now, which is a very good example of what I mean.
>   Wrong allegations and correct information about them is very welcome.
>   I'll add a link to the page from the VFAQ page if/when I get some more
> entries.

Mis-whatevers:

Q.) Why don't they implement a modeling interface into Pov-Ray

A.) Pov-Ray is a rendering engine. This means it is designed to read a
    text based scene discription language and output an image for it.
    The programming work to keep this working bug free and adding
    features at regular intervals takes a lot time and energy by the all
    volunteer programming team. Adding a modeling interface would add to
    their aleady heavy workload and the progam was never written to be a
    modeling program anyway. There are numerous modeling programs already
    available that are designed with the sole purpose of providing a
    graphical modeling interface to Pov so it really isn't neccessary for
    the programming team to think about adding one.

    And...  or...

Q.) Why can't I use 3ds, dxf, vrml, or whatever models directly without
    having to convert them to triangles first ?

A.) ?

For Ron Parker:

Q.) If I just add the inverse keyword to my triangle meshes shouldn't they
    work in csg operations ?

A.) ?

--
Ken Tyler