POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : skin texture? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:33:28 EDT (-0400)
  skin texture? (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: skin texture?
Date: 24 Feb 1999 10:16:39
Message: <36D417D3.9980B783@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
I just took a look at the interesting site

http://www.komodostudio.com/

(BTW this one's is terrible slow).

I think it has been recommended by Dan Connelly. What caught my eye was
the skin texture of the 3D character Bill Fleming has posted there. This
one is really close to the real world (look at the areas close to the
eyes).

Any idea how he did that?

Has anybody made a texture in POV that comes close to that one or this
just a feature these $$$$$$-programms provide?

Maybe we should skip the grass for a few days and start a competition on
skin texture!

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

> I just took a look at the interesting site
>
> http://www.komodostudio.com/
>
> (BTW this one's is terrible slow).
>
> I think it has been recommended by Dan Connelly. What caught my eye was
> the skin texture of the 3D character Bill Fleming has posted there. This
> one is really close to the real world (look at the areas close to the
> eyes).
>
> Any idea how he did that?
>
> Has anybody made a texture in POV that comes close to that one or this
> just a feature these $$$$$$-programms provide?
>
> Maybe we should skip the grass for a few days and start a competition on
> skin texture!
>
> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

   For skin textures I go with image maps. There are some really good
textures available that not only give correct skin tone but enough
variation to seem real. The additional use of normals to add pitting
and such is useful as well. Trying to get individual hair folicles is
best left to the supercomputer user. I think stuff like fine wrinkles
and creases need to be addressed at the object level and not relied
upon as a texture feature. Height fields offer a lot of flexibility
that few people utilize to their fullest extint. I think this comes
from the lack of knowledge most people have at making workable images
to be used for the height field.
  For human and inhuman skin textures there are a couple of sites that
offer some selection in this regard. I posted a resource list a couple
of months ago that have sites related to these types of textures and
available for free.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>    For skin textures I go with image maps. There are some really good
> textures available that not only give correct skin tone but enough
> variation to seem real. The additional use of normals to add pitting
> and such is useful as well. Trying to get individual hair folicles is
> best left to the supercomputer user. I think stuff like fine wrinkles
> and creases need to be addressed at the object level and not relied
> upon as a texture feature. Height fields offer a lot of flexibility
> that few people utilize to their fullest extint. I think this comes
> from the lack of knowledge most people have at making workable images
> to be used for the height field.
>   For human and inhuman skin textures there are a couple of sites that
> offer some selection in this regard. I posted a resource list a couple
> of months ago that have sites related to these types of textures and
> available for free.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Due to the inhuman work of searching through all your postings I found
it:

22nd November 1998: Image_Map Textures

(Ken, you really should start a website! I was lucky that you didn't put
that one into a reply :-) Do you need help?)

The links look really promising!

Thank you!

I still wonder if this effect could be reached by procedural textures?

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

> Due to the inhuman work of searching through all your postings I found
> it:
>
> 22nd November 1998: Image_Map Textures
>
> (Ken, you really should start a website! I was lucky that you didn't put
> that one into a reply :-) Do you need help?)

I may have one in the works but am waiting on a reply from someone
in that regard.

> The links look really promising!
>
> Thank you!

Yup.

> I still wonder if this effect could be reached by procedural textures?
>
> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

  "I" have had little luck in that regard. I have also seen other people's
work and could tell at a glance that they were using proccedural methods.
  I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it takes a masterful approach
and a dedication to success before it happens. If you look at your own
skin carefuly, in different lighting conditions, and from different angles
I think you will start to see the problems involved. It seems to change
right before your very eyes. The realism of skin if modeled in pov may
also begin to look unanatural because few people give it much thought.
  There are a lot of phong highlights, reflection characteristics, several
differenet normal patterens in even small areas, grain structure and
directional patterens, pigmentation variables, tiny hairs that break up
the light, presense of persperation, overly dry skin, well conditioned
skin, blemishes, scar tissue, freckles, medical skin conditions, and so
much more do I need I go on ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>   "I" have had little luck in that regard. I have also seen other people's
> work and could tell at a glance that they were using proccedural methods.
>   I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it takes a masterful approach
> and a dedication to success before it happens. If you look at your own
> skin carefuly, in different lighting conditions, and from different angles
> I think you will start to see the problems involved. It seems to change
> right before your very eyes. The realism of skin if modeled in pov may
> also begin to look unanatural because few people give it much thought.
>   There are a lot of phong highlights, reflection characteristics, several
> differenet normal patterens in even small areas, grain structure and
> directional patterens, pigmentation variables, tiny hairs that break up
> the light, presense of persperation, overly dry skin, well conditioned
> skin, blemishes, scar tissue, freckles, medical skin conditions, and so
> much more do I need I go on ?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

I knew about the problems of skin texture. That's why I had been so
surprised when I saw the model from Bill Fleming. Maybe this texture
looks good only from this specific angle under this lighting conditions
but nonetheless it looked "realistic"!

If I ever find enough time I will do my own trial and error on that.

Thank you Ken!

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler