POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : skin texture? : Re: skin texture? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skin texture?
From: Ken
Date: 24 Feb 1999 11:18:07
Message: <36D425BB.ED0008B9@pacbell.net>
Marc Schimmler wrote:

> Due to the inhuman work of searching through all your postings I found
> it:
>
> 22nd November 1998: Image_Map Textures
>
> (Ken, you really should start a website! I was lucky that you didn't put
> that one into a reply :-) Do you need help?)

I may have one in the works but am waiting on a reply from someone
in that regard.

> The links look really promising!
>
> Thank you!

Yup.

> I still wonder if this effect could be reached by procedural textures?
>
> Marc
> --
> Marc Schimmler

  "I" have had little luck in that regard. I have also seen other people's
work and could tell at a glance that they were using proccedural methods.
  I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it takes a masterful approach
and a dedication to success before it happens. If you look at your own
skin carefuly, in different lighting conditions, and from different angles
I think you will start to see the problems involved. It seems to change
right before your very eyes. The realism of skin if modeled in pov may
also begin to look unanatural because few people give it much thought.
  There are a lot of phong highlights, reflection characteristics, several
differenet normal patterens in even small areas, grain structure and
directional patterens, pigmentation variables, tiny hairs that break up
the light, presense of persperation, overly dry skin, well conditioned
skin, blemishes, scar tissue, freckles, medical skin conditions, and so
much more do I need I go on ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net