POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : skin texture? : Re: skin texture? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skin texture?
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 24 Feb 1999 15:53:58
Message: <36D46791.B84EA014@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Ken wrote:

>   "I" have had little luck in that regard. I have also seen other people's
> work and could tell at a glance that they were using proccedural methods.
>   I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it takes a masterful approach
> and a dedication to success before it happens. If you look at your own
> skin carefuly, in different lighting conditions, and from different angles
> I think you will start to see the problems involved. It seems to change
> right before your very eyes. The realism of skin if modeled in pov may
> also begin to look unanatural because few people give it much thought.
>   There are a lot of phong highlights, reflection characteristics, several
> differenet normal patterens in even small areas, grain structure and
> directional patterens, pigmentation variables, tiny hairs that break up
> the light, presense of persperation, overly dry skin, well conditioned
> skin, blemishes, scar tissue, freckles, medical skin conditions, and so
> much more do I need I go on ?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

I knew about the problems of skin texture. That's why I had been so
surprised when I saw the model from Bill Fleming. Maybe this texture
looks good only from this specific angle under this lighting conditions
but nonetheless it looked "realistic"!

If I ever find enough time I will do my own trial and error on that.

Thank you Ken!

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler