POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : htmlflame=on Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:39 EDT (-0400)
  htmlflame=on (Message 1 to 10 of 40)
From: Lue Ebra
Subject: htmlflame=on
Date: 29 Jan 1999 02:37:41
Message: <36b16545.0@news.povray.org>
I've watched the flamewars regarding html usage, and frankly, I think it's
getting ridiculous. Half of the threads I pull are flames about html, and
half of those are in html. I understand that a lot of you run newsreaders
that don't support html and some of you have to pay for each megabyte you
download. probably the rest of you don't give a flying flip either way. That
breaks us up into roughly three groups.
 For the third group, good on you. You're more interested in the actual meat
of the matter than the frills and frippery.
 For the first group, A) Get a grip. Do you flame a webmaster because his
Netscape 4 javascript blew a tire on your IE3.01 browser? Didn't think so.
You usually just pick up and move on, gleaning the pertinent info and
disregarding the rest (unless the error makes that impossible, of course).
B) Get a better newsreader. While free may be good, getting that rinky-dinky
120K newsreader off the "Biggest Collection of Free Crap CD" that came with
"Technoweenie" magazine (wait a minute.. I think I subscribe to that one..oh
well) doesn't constitute a really smart move. You're not running Netscape
1.0, or mIRC 2.3, or POVray 1.0 so quit reading the news with something that
went out with Windows 3.0. Upgrading isn't a sin, doesn't require a great
deal of work (nor brains) and generally makes life a little easier. (Now
watch, I'll get return flame from someone running Win 3.0 using the first
release of Free Agent and Mosaic 1.0 on a 386sx16.)
As for you Pay-Per-Byte ppl: get a real ISP, you're not even getting kissed.
What possible advantage could they have? I've got unlimited access for
$15/month for Lakshmi's sake. Even AOL's better than that (and ultimately
cheaper). On a regular basis, I cycle through my Browser cache at a sitting
(which is set at 300 MEGS). Can you imagine how much that would cost in a
month? I can.. $15!
Now that I've vented that, I'm expecting another 3 dozen posts in flame..
the REAL drag to html postings. Funny.. a 2K html post generates 50K of
flame (kinda like the fliers in the Sunday paper).

--
Lue Ebra
"Only you can prevent forest fires" -Smokey the Bear

PS: I posted this in plain text format for a reason.. so you wouldn't skip
it just because it's html.

Post a reply to this message

> I've watched the flamewars regarding html usage, and frankly, I think it's
> getting ridiculous.
> --
> Lue Ebra

No comment.