POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions
Date: 25 Mar 1999 08:33:36
Message: <36FA3A87.A9CA968@aol.com>
In POV 3.02 , the definitions of the key strokes for Home, End, etc.,
worked just like that in MS Notepad (and Wordperfect, and the OS/2 Text
editor, etc.,  etc.,).

In POV 3.1, the End key does not move to the end of the actual text on a
line, but for some reason moves one practically offscreen to the far
right.

I cannot imagine many practical implications for wanting the "end" to be
the "farthest possible end of the line".  In fact, it introduces a lot
of inconvenience when cutting & pasting text, as I often find myself
doing.  I don't see any way to turn this annoying feature off.

Why was it changed?  Can we make POV 3.5 just like the good old days?

Post a reply to this message

"Greg M. Johnson" <"greg;-)j56590"> wrote:
: In POV 3.1, the End key does not move to the end of the actual text on a
: line, but for some reason moves one practically offscreen to the far
: right.

  In my copy of 3.1 the end key works just fine: it goes to the end of
the line.
  Perhaps you have lots of whitespaces at the end of the lines?

> In POV 3.02 , the definitions of the key strokes for Home, End, etc.,
> worked just like that in MS Notepad (and Wordperfect, and the OS/2 Text
> editor, etc.,  etc.,).
>
> In POV 3.1, the End key does not move to the end of the actual text on a
> line, but for some reason moves one practically offscreen to the far
> right.
>
> I cannot imagine many practical implications for wanting the "end" to be
> the "farthest possible end of the line".  In fact, it introduces a lot
> of inconvenience when cutting & pasting text, as I often find myself
> doing.  I don't see any way to turn this annoying feature off.
>
> Why was it changed?  Can we make POV 3.5 just like the good old days?

   It has changed for the better so I will have to disagree with you.
 I think it would be a step backward for the program.

  If you have extra spaces at the end of the text then the cursor will go
 to the end of the line spaces and all. If you press the end key a second
 time then the cursor will snap to the end of the text. Also if you make
 sure you don't have extra spaces at the end of a text string you won't
 have the problem in the first place. The home key functions the same as
 the end key. The first press will take you to the border and the second
 will snap to the first character of text in the line.

   There is a very extensive set of references for the new editor
 included with the distribution. You can access this by simply pressing
 F1 then scroll down to where it mentions the new editor features. Click
 the link and it will take you to a full set of instructions and editor
 specifications. If you take the time to learn how to use all of the new
 features you will never go back to note pad again. I use the new Pov
 editor for all of my letter/code writing activities and MS Word sits
 on my hard drive unused taking up valuable real estate.

 For the record I hated the characteristics of the old editor and much
 prefer this version.

 We stand at one for one against.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

You can switch to view spaces too if need be. (CodeMax Editor)
On menu use Text/Show White Space or keyboard Ctrl+Alt+T and you will
get small centered squares in place of the spaces.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

> You can switch to view spaces too if need be. (CodeMax Editor)
> On menu use Text/Show White Space or keyboard Ctrl+Alt+T and you will
> get small centered squares in place of the spaces.

  Boy that sounds like it would make for visualy attractive looking code.

NOT !

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

No kidding "not". I tried it and quickly judged it to be old
computer-age looking. bleep,bleep,bleep,bleep,bleep,ble---