POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: MS Notepad text editing keystroke definitions
From: Ken
Date: 25 Mar 1999 09:03:21
Message: <36FA4136.D743011C@pacbell.net>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> In POV 3.02 , the definitions of the key strokes for Home, End, etc.,
> worked just like that in MS Notepad (and Wordperfect, and the OS/2 Text
> editor, etc.,  etc.,).
>
> In POV 3.1, the End key does not move to the end of the actual text on a
> line, but for some reason moves one practically offscreen to the far
> right.
>
> I cannot imagine many practical implications for wanting the "end" to be
> the "farthest possible end of the line".  In fact, it introduces a lot
> of inconvenience when cutting & pasting text, as I often find myself
> doing.  I don't see any way to turn this annoying feature off.
>
> Why was it changed?  Can we make POV 3.5 just like the good old days?

   It has changed for the better so I will have to disagree with you.
 I think it would be a step backward for the program.

  If you have extra spaces at the end of the text then the cursor will go
 to the end of the line spaces and all. If you press the end key a second
 time then the cursor will snap to the end of the text. Also if you make
 sure you don't have extra spaces at the end of a text string you won't
 have the problem in the first place. The home key functions the same as
 the end key. The first press will take you to the border and the second
 will snap to the first character of text in the line.

   There is a very extensive set of references for the new editor
 included with the distribution. You can access this by simply pressing
 F1 then scroll down to where it mentions the new editor features. Click
 the link and it will take you to a full set of instructions and editor
 specifications. If you take the time to learn how to use all of the new
 features you will never go back to note pad again. I use the new Pov
 editor for all of my letter/code writing activities and MS Word sits
 on my hard drive unused taking up valuable real estate.

 For the record I hated the characteristics of the old editor and much
 prefer this version.

 We stand at one for one against.

--
Ken Tyler