POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spiral texture Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Spiral texture (Message 11 to 19 of 19)
From: Julius Klatte
Subject: Re: Spiral or helix?
Date: 14 Dec 1998 12:02:02
Message: <3675448a.0@news.povray.org>
Yes, I thought it was something like that, but I believe one
can also call a 3D helix shape a spiral. Since pov uses
spirals as 2D textures (and hasn't heard from a helix in
it's entire life), maybe I'm wrong.

>  Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I have understood:
>  AFAIK: A spiral is a line on a 2D plane which can be
drawn this way:
>start drawing a circle but increase the radius constantly.
When you have
>made a complete 360 degrees curve, you are a little bit
farther away from
>the center. Continue drawing and you get a spiral curve.
>  A helix is a 3D line instead of 2D like the spiral. You
can draw it this
>way: start drawing a circle in the xy-plane, but instead of
changing the
>radius, keep it constant, but increase the z-coordinate,
ie. the height.
>When you have done a complete 360 degrees curve, you are
still at the same
>distance from the center axis, but a little bit higher from
the plane.
>Continue this way and you get a helix curve.
>  A galaxy has typically a spiral shape, while a spring has
a helix shape.

>--
>main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";whil
e(i=
>*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":"

Post a reply to this message