POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spiral texture : Re: Spiral or helix? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:44:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spiral or helix?
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 15 Dec 1998 13:30:50
Message: <36739F96.778B261A@bigfoot.com>
Julius Klatte wrote:

> >  Are you talking about a spiral shape or a helix shape?
>
> I understand what the difference between spiral and helix is
> for POV, but I was just wondering what (as a language thing)
> the difference between a "spiral" and a "helix" is. I always
> thought they meant the same thing.
>
> Julius

The first thought that comes is :
-o- a sipral is a figure in a plane where the radius keeps growing as
you change the angle.
-o- a helix is a figure in 3-d space where the radius is constant but
the height changes as you change the angle.

As it is the way I always used these in physics or biology.
But when looking up the dictionnary (British - Collins Cobuild) you
notice the spiral is actually both these meanings as well as other
figurative meanings, and you discover that the word helix is simply
not there !

Cherio,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.