POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spiral texture : Re: Spiral or helix? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:43:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spiral or helix?
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 18 Dec 1998 14:08:21
Message: <3679BD0A.A0DADE7B@bigfoot.com>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Helix is in mine (as I mentioned in an earlier post).  But a helix by CAD
> and graphics terms is not 3D.  I can't remember the word for it, perhaps
> someone else knows.  What is the word for the point that draws a path?
> There is a special term for this, and a helix in the 2D sense is one of
> these, where the point is the end of the perimeter of an unwinding 2D shape.
> But, once again, a helix can be 3D.

If I understand the concept right, in 2D it would only produce a circle, thus of
little interest to the 2D world, that would be what one would call a degenerated
helix (mathematical expression, no bad thoughs there).

In 3D it makes , well a helix ...
Again, if I'm not mistaken, I think you call generally these type of functions
developpants, but a helix would be one case of them. But my maths are a thing of
the past, so there are not too reliable.

Cheers,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.