POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-Point Light sources? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Non-Point Light sources? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: James Fitzgerald
Subject: Non-Point Light sources?
Date: 22 Oct 1998 20:06:33
Message: <362FB99E.AC215E59@argoneng.com>
I apologize if this type of question has been asked before,
but is there such a thing as a non point light source?

I was looking to do like a light house type of beam
of light (I'm using the media features and a spotlight),
but it looks strange with the light only coming from
one point.

Is there anyway to have a an object emit light?
Kind of like a flashlight (where it appears as if
the end of a cylinder is emitting light?

Should I try adding in some mirror objects (kind
of like a real flashlight) and use a regular (non-spot)
light source, or should I use multiple spotlights,
or something else?

Thanks for any help.

-JamesF.
James Fitzgerald             Argon Engineering Associates Inc.
Jam### [at] argonengcom          (703) 591-3614 x103

James Fitzgerald <jam### [at] argonengcom> wrote in message
362FB99E.AC215E59@argoneng.com...
>I apologize if this type of question has been asked before,
>but is there such a thing as a non point light source?
>
>I was looking to do like a light house type of beam
>of light (I'm using the media features and a spotlight),
>but it looks strange with the light only coming from
>one point.

Maybe you should try and use area_light with spotlight parameters specified.
Slower, though.

>Is there anyway to have a an object emit light?
>Kind of like a flashlight (where it appears as if
>the end of a cylinder is emitting light?

No. But you can play around (not in this case) with radiosity and really
high ambient values.

>Should I try adding in some mirror objects (kind
>of like a real flashlight) and use a regular (non-spot)
>light source, or should I use multiple spotlights,
>or something else?

That would require that POV models specular reflections, and it does nor.
Multiple spotlights placed in a circle *might* work, but I think that, if
you only want to see the beam and not any shadows in it, you can use a very
distant cylindrical light that points at the lighthouse.

>Thanks for any help

>-JamesF.
>--
>James Fitzgerald             Argon Engineering Associates Inc.
>Jam### [at] argonengcom          (703) 591-3614 x103

Peter

Post a reply to this message