POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-Point Light sources? : Re: Non-Point Light sources? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:51:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-Point Light sources?
From: =Bob
Date: 24 Oct 1998 01:02:11
Message: <36315143.0@news.povray.org>
light_source {} with cylinder type light sounds like a possibility alright.
Vary the tightness, falloff, and radius as needed.
I haven't tried it yet, but if the idea is to create an actual "area" of light
at the source then this might be the solution.

Message <362ff07d.0@news.povray.org>, Peter Popov  typed...
>Multiple spotlights placed in a circle *might* work, but I think that, if
>you only want to see the beam and not any shadows in it, you can use a very
>distant cylindrical light that points at the lighthouse.

I take it this means orient the cylinder light along the light beam axis.
"distant"?, I don't understand that, because it has no distance along the axis
unless fade_distance and fade_power is used, so putting it at the beam origin
and with point_at away from there (what else?) then the light distance will
fade as it should.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
  http://members.aol.com/inversez/POVring.html