POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-Point Light sources? : Re: Non-Point Light sources? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:51:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-Point Light sources?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 23 Oct 1998 06:46:43
Message: <363050AE.55477F6@peak.edu.ee>
As far as I can tell, your only option is to use an array of spotlights (placed
in a circular pattern and quite close together). Using an area_light source
doesn't help, since POV's area lights only affect the shadows - the light beam
looks exactly the same as with a single light source.

Having said that, I think that with media effects finalized/finalised ;) in 3.1,
POV really needs true area lights, i.e. lights which truly have dimensions. The
current system just doesn't work with media (although it's faster)

Margus