POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why non hollow? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:31:40 EDT (-0400)
  Why non hollow? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: PoD
Subject: Why non hollow?
Date: 29 Aug 1998 14:20:09
Message: <35E83841.2211@merlin.net.au>
After spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why an object with media
wasn't working, I finally realised that I hadn't included the keyword
'hollow'.  That started me thinking why aren't all objects automatically
hollow?  What advantage is there to a non-hollow object?

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> After spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why an object with media
> wasn't working, I finally realised that I hadn't included the keyword
> 'hollow'.  That started me thinking why aren't all objects automatically
> hollow?  What advantage is there to a non-hollow object?
>
> Cheers, PoD.

  How else would you correctly model a crystal ball ?

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message

: After spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why an object with media
: wasn't working, I finally realised that I hadn't included the keyword
: 'hollow'.  That started me thinking why aren't all objects automatically
: hollow?  What advantage is there to a non-hollow object?

  Fog doesn't go inside non-hollow objects. This allows making for example
glass objects into fog, etc.

--
                                                           - Warp. -

Post a reply to this message

> : After spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why an object with media
> : wasn't working, I finally realised that I hadn't included the keyword
> : 'hollow'.  That started me thinking why aren't all objects automatically
> : hollow?  What advantage is there to a non-hollow object?
>
>   Fog doesn't go inside non-hollow objects. This allows making for example
> glass objects into fog, etc.
>
> --
>                                                            - Warp. -

Yeah, right. I should have thought of that, but I don't use fog very
much.
Thanks for a simple and meaningful answer :)
PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> > : After spending 10 minutes trying to figure out why an object with media
> > : wasn't working, I finally realised that I hadn't included the keyword
> > : 'hollow'.  That started me thinking why aren't all objects automatically
> > : hollow?  What advantage is there to a non-hollow object?
> >
> >   Fog doesn't go inside non-hollow objects. This allows making for example
> > glass objects into fog, etc.
> >
> > --
> >                                                            - Warp. -
>
> Yeah, right. I should have thought of that, but I don't use fog very
> much.
> Thanks for a simple and meaningful answer :)
> PoD.

Yes, but then doesn't that mean hollow-by-default would be good?  The fog would
work, media would work, everything would work . . . maybe.

- Willow

Post a reply to this message