POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-( Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-( (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Friedemann Schmidt
Subject: No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-(
Date: 5 Aug 1998 12:46:25
Message: <35c87daf.3016033@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I really can't understand the reason for making the new POV-Ray 3.1
such incomptaible with earlier versions. I'm talking again about the
glass textures. All old scenes written for POV-Ray 3.0x, which contain
one or more textures from the file "glass.inc" will be rendered
incorrect in future. Halos won't be rendered at all.

Why can't that be fixed with the "#version" directive? Do I really
have to hold 2 versions (difference in version number 0.8) of POV-Ray
on my harddisk? How many versions of POV-Ray do I have to expect in
future on my harddisk?

Even software from Microsoft can manage data from versions which are
older than 4 or 5 years...

Bye,
Friedemann

P.S.: Excuse me for my bad English. I had to say a lot more if I found
the words ;-)

Friedemann Schmidt
Fri### [at] Stonescom
Raytracing-Gallery: http://www.rz.fhtw-berlin.de/~s0049669