POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-( : Re: No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-( Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:29:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No compatibility between POV-Ray 3.x and 3.1 :-(
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 5 Aug 1998 13:54:47
Message: <35c88e57.0@news.povray.org>
In article <35c87daf.3016033@news.povray.org>, Fri### [at] stonescom says...

>Why can't that be fixed with the "#version" directive? Do I really
>have to hold 2 versions (difference in version number 0.8) of POV-Ray
>on my harddisk? How many versions of POV-Ray do I have to expect in
>future on my harddisk?
>
>Even software from Microsoft can manage data from versions which are
>older than 4 or 5 years...
>
>Bye,
>Friedemann

Well, you have been clearly warned in 3.02 that it could change in the future.
They knew there was problems with the halo implementation.  It's rather
kind of them to have told us about that !  Does Micro$oft do that ?

Adding a #version feature for halos will overweight the software and confuse
users.  Converting from halos to media is quite easy.

I understand your point, but do you often re-work on older scenes ?

A compressed copy of Pov 3.02 takes 2 or 3 diskettes, so keep one aside !

(I personally kept for the record almost any version I had; older is
POV 1.0 BETA !!)

Cheers,
Fabien.