POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Kaveh
Subject: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data?
Date: 14 Oct 2002 08:33:49
Message: <1fk1p68.1yo4nh4w9gu0wN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
I am interested in taking medical data, such as MRI, CAT, etc, and
putting them together in povray to give a realistic view of the data in
3D. This can be done holographically, by multiply recording the slices
(e.g. http://www.voxel.com), but I want to see how good it would be in
povray.

There is a lot of work in detecting surfaces from the data, but all I
want to do is to stack them up and look at the whole thing, using stereo
or animation.

Questions:

1. Are there sample data sets? I have found one or two, but they are in
formats which I can't read. I would prefer tif, for example.

2. Has anyone done this already in povray? I don't want to reinvent the
wheel.

3. The fun bit is choosing the lighting for each slice, in order that
the slices add up to a good 3D image. Any hints on this?

--
Kaveh

Post a reply to this message

> I am interested in taking medical data, such as MRI, CAT, etc, and
> putting them together in povray to give a realistic view of the data in
> 3D. This can be done holographically, by multiply recording the slices
> (e.g. http://www.voxel.com), but I want to see how good it would be in
> povray.
>
> There is a lot of work in detecting surfaces from the data,

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling/polygonise/

Post a reply to this message

> > I am interested in taking medical data, such as MRI, CAT, etc, and
> > putting them together in povray to give a realistic view of the data in
> > 3D. This can be done holographically, by multiply recording the slices
> > (e.g. http://www.voxel.com), but I want to see how good it would be in
> > povray.
> >
> > There is a lot of work in detecting surfaces from the data,
>

> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling/polygonise/

Thanks for this link which is actually interesting and which I am
reading now.

But actually I don't want to do any such computation, but just put the
planes up together and look at it as a whole, and let the eye/brain
decipher the data.

--
Kaveh

Post a reply to this message