POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? : Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data?
From: Kaveh
Date: 14 Oct 2002 13:42:56
Message: <1fk23bj.nzfzy91xfubogN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
Harold Baize <bai### [at] itsaucsfedu> wrote:

> It sounds like what you want to do is map images with
> transparency to planes. Should be easy enough to do.
> Then you render stereoscopic pairs of the stacked planes
> to view. Nice idea. You would have to be very precise
> in registration of the images on the planes, and no
> doubt you would have to play around with the levels
> of transparency to get it to work.

Well, the precision would be OK, as the data is all digital, and the
subject is fixed throughout. What I look forward to is learning and
using all the fine controls in pov to get precisely the effect needed.
(I am still a newbie in pov.) Ingo's frog looks beautiful.

> Then again to really use the power of a ray tracer you
> would want to transform the data into a true three
> dimensional model. That would be a real challenge and
> has been accomplished by Voxel and other companies
> that charge huge sums of money for the process.

Well, I know the Voxel guys *very* well, and the technical guys are good
friends of mine. I am now excited about getting POV to make a useful
image, using *no* money!

--
Kaveh