POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? : Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data?
From: Kaveh
Date: 14 Oct 2002 13:42:59
Message: <1fk23pp.g42lrb178xvu9N%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>
Tim Nikias <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> This isn't quite impossible using only POV...
>
> If I'm not mistaken, POV has some vector-function
> which returns the rgb of a given pigment. Using
> image-maps (these "slices"), you could somehow
> sample the maps and get the "outer hull". Since
> next layers should either line up when there
> are multiple hulls present, the sampled points could
> be connected using triangles, and otherwise there should be
> some method to find if two hulls merge in a next layer...
>
> But its a quite difficult process I believe. Perhaps making
> Heightfields from image-maps, placing them, then tracing
> samples could be another approach (though probably not
> very accurate, but perhaps sufficient?)...

I think you are thinking along the lines of what I *don't* want to do!
It's actually very simple. Think of, say, 10 slices of an image, each
one fully transparent, but emitting light. (Sorry, newbie to pov so
might not use the right terms.)

You will be looking at and through all the slices, and your eye/brain
will make these into a 3D image.

You could do this simply by printing each slice onto a glass sheet.
Where there is no image, the glass is transparent. Where there is an
image, the image is, white, say. When you look at the whole set, you
will see a 3D image with full parallax as you move your head.

Except you can do it better in povray as you don't have the physical
constraints of one image hiding another.

Hope you see what I am saying.

--
Kaveh