POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? : Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering medical volume (e.g. MRI) data?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Oct 2002 12:54:24
Message: <3daaf6c0@news.povray.org>
This isn't quite impossible using only POV...

If I'm not mistaken, POV has some vector-function
which returns the rgb of a given pigment. Using
image-maps (these "slices"), you could somehow
sample the maps and get the "outer hull". Since
next layers should either line up when there
are multiple hulls present, the sampled points could
be connected using triangles, and otherwise there should be
some method to find if two hulls merge in a next layer...

But its a quite difficult process I believe. Perhaps making
Heightfields from image-maps, placing them, then tracing
samples could be another approach (though probably not
very accurate, but perhaps sufficient?)...

Ah, just mumbling about, don't mind me...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde