POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:52:00 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay Google Trends (Message 77 to 86 of 126)
From: David Buck
Subject: Re: PovRay Google Trends
Date: 15 Nov 2016 16:06:54
Message: <582b78ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016-11-15 3:53 PM, [GDS|Entropy] wrote:
> ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>>> Maybe someone should get involved with Blender UI development, and
>>> implement an alternative UI for noobs, exposing only a subset of the
>>> features, [...]
>>
>> one "GUI" for one task, blend out everything else. Push all GUI elements
>> to a second screen.
>>
>> Ingo
>>

> The blender UI, rumor had it long ago, was intentionally (or
> retro-intentionally) obfuscated in order to fund the app by selling manuals
> and such. At least that was the rumor years ago, and after using it
> (well...trying to) I could totally buy that conjecture. ;D
>
> Or it could have been a consequence of design-by-committee. :p
>
> I have not attempted to do so in years though, and based on the
> conversation here perhaps it is time I did.
>
> My ideal UI would be like TrueSpace 3 + Bryce + Houdini.
> Hell, Houdini is frankly in my opinion perfect. I just cannot afford it,
> though there is a free version and a cheap version I like to own full
> versions, so Lightwave haha!
>
> Ian

Funny you should mention TrueSpace. I met up with the author and founder
of the company - Roman Ormandy.  We discussed having me write a new
rendering back-end for TrueSpace to allow for raytracing and other
things.  We never started on the project but it was great meeting him.
We both admired each others' work.

David Buck

Post a reply to this message

Am 15.11.2016 um 21:53 schrieb [GDS|Entropy]:

> The blender UI, rumor had it long ago, was intentionally (or
> retro-intentionally) obfuscated in order to fund the app by selling manuals
> and such. At least that was the rumor years ago, and after using it
> (well...trying to) I could totally buy that conjecture. ;D
>
> Or it could have been a consequence of design-by-committee. :p

The software started out as an in-house tool. For me that's explanation
enough for a crappy UI.

Post a reply to this message