POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : So... Server Time: 29 Sep 2020 20:10:50 GMT
  So... (Message 1 to 10 of 14)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Skip Talbot
Subject: So...
Date: 7 Aug 2004 04:08:27
Message: <411455bb@news.povray.org>
So is anyone else bailing on their IRTC entry for this competition?  I just
don't think there will be time to do both, and might as well just submit
what I have now.  Anyone want to share some ideas you are considering
tackling?  I'm thinking about doing a cathedral but I don't know if that
idea is technically feasible with the allotted time.  But anyway, I have a
feeling they are going to be coming out of the woodwork for this
competition.  Good luck to all.

Skip
From: Tek
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 7 Aug 2004 04:37:05
Message: <41145c71$1@news.povray.org>
"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message news:411455bb@news.povray.org...
> So is anyone else bailing on their IRTC entry for this competition?

Sort of: I'd been planning to do 3 IRTC entries (to compensate for my feeble 0
entries in the last year!) and I've finished the first 2 but I've decided to can
the third image in favour of this competition.

> Anyone want to share some ideas you are considering tackling?

I've not settled on one idea yet, but all my plans are based around trying to
make an image that really shows off how good povray's standard features are. By
"standard features" I mean constructing the scene "properly" with photons,
radiosity, isosurfaces, media, etc. rather than my more usual trick of cheating
rather a lot to get the effect I'm after! That's not to say I won't cheat, just
that the focus of the image will be pure pov functionality.

Though if you're curious, my current ideas are as follows:
    - a Miyazaki-inspired whimsical scene of a young boy reflecting light from
his watch onto the floor for his pet cat to chase.
    - an image with skin cells close to the camera, sweeping back to a person,
in a landscape, with the galaxy in the background.
    - a motor-race in hi-tech cars on a stunt-track built over a mountain range.

Apologies to anyone with similar ideas, please feel free to carry on since
there's only a 1/3 chance I'll make the same image as you!

> Good luck to all.

I second that, though I do fear this might be a bit of a "give Gilles a new PC"
contest ;) (just kidding)

Still, whoever's image wins, I'm sure we're going to see the highest standard of
pov images created so far.

-- 
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

P.S. I *really* want that PC.
From: nomail
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 15:00:00
Message: <web.41163e95d0ed11ec569e9b810@news.povray.org>
> I second that, though I do fear this might be a bit of a "give Gilles a new PC"
> contest ;) (just kidding)

Hmm, I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too.  If Gilles is going
to be competing, perhaps an explanation from the organizers of why this
contest is not simply a "Gilles Tran Acclamation" is in order.  I notice
the judges are currently remaining anonymous.  Are they Tran fans?!  I also
notice whenever I go to the povray.org homepage, there's a bias towards
displaying Tran's images.  Is the person responsible for povray.org also
one of the judges?!  Tran is good, but other people are good too (and to be
frank, Tran is not a personal favorite of mine).

Tran may not be competing, on the other hand, maybe he's already sitting on
an image he's worked on for months intending to upload it to the "contest"
at the last minute...

Nick
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 15:30:02
Message: <cf5gqf$jbj$1@chho.imagico.de>
nomail@nomail wrote:
> 
> Hmm, I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too.  If Gilles is going
> to be competing, perhaps an explanation from the organizers of why this
> contest is not simply a "Gilles Tran Acclamation" is in order.  I notice
> the judges are currently remaining anonymous.  Are they Tran fans?!  I also
> notice whenever I go to the povray.org homepage, there's a bias towards
> displaying Tran's images.  Is the person responsible for povray.org also
> one of the judges?!  Tran is good, but other people are good too (and to be
> frank, Tran is not a personal favorite of mine).

It is not really good style to post such unqualified accusations, 
especially not doing so anonymously.  The composition of the judging 
panel is not pubished because it is not final yet.  But as clearly 
written on the competition website the judges will not know the identity 
of the entrants.

The idea that the povray.org website is biased towards Gilles' images is 
not understandable at all to me, on the contrary there are only very few 
of his images in the new HOF at the moment - something that will change 
for sure.  Of course all this has absolutely no influence on the judging 
in the competition, the images on the website are selected purely 
according to the personal taste of the webserver owner and the rest of 
the POV-Team.

If you don't like Gilles' images that's completely up to you of course 
and i am sure he is open to qualified critique but this newsgroup is 
surely not the right place for that.

Christoph

-- 
POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______
From: none
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 15:43:22
Message: <41164a1a$1@news.povray.org>
nomail@nomail wrote:
> 
> maybe [Gilles Tran is] already sitting on an image he's worked on for
> months intending to upload it to the "contest" at the last minute...
> 

Whining in one thing, but these accusations are rediculous. A quick look 
at Gilles' website and the number of images produced per year clearly 
shows that there are almost no images "he's worked on for (more than 
two) months". In 2000 (the year 'Wet Bird' was produced), Gilles posted 
16 completed images, most of which are detailed, time-consuming full 
scenes, in addition to several radiosity experiments (also time-consuming).

  -Shay
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 18:24:47
Message: <41166fef@news.povray.org>
<nomail@nomail> a écrit dans le message de
news:web.41163e95d0ed11ec569e9b810@news.povray.org...

> Tran may not be competing, on the other hand, maybe he's already sitting
on
> an image he's worked on for months intending to upload it to the "contest"
> at the last minute...

Actually, I won't enter the competition for the very reason that I've known
(as a TAG member) about the competition well before it was officially
announced. This would be unfair to the other competitors and there would be
a potential conflict of interest. I don't rule out making a nice pic for the
fun of it - if I can find the time - but it wouldn't be competing.

G.

-- 
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters
From: Renderdog
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 18:30:01
Message: <web.41167060d0ed11ec1a2719430@news.povray.org>
There are a lot of great prizes and I'm looking forward
to seeing a wide range of excellent entries. It's exciting
and I'm sure the sour note sounded by Nick represents
a minority of one.

I for one hope Gilles does enter and blows us away with
another one of his "Wow!" images; his work convinced
me (and many others I'm sure) to try POV-Ray.

I expect this competition will produce more than one
"Wow!" entry.
From: Ken
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 8 Aug 2004 18:48:04
Message: <41167564@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:41166fef@news.povray.org...
> <nomail@nomail> a écrit dans le message de
> news:web.41163e95d0ed11ec569e9b810@news.povray.org...
>
> > Tran may not be competing, on the other hand, maybe he's already sitting
> on
> > an image he's worked on for months intending to upload it to the "contest"
> > at the last minute...
>
> Actually, I won't enter the competition for the very reason that I've known
> (as a TAG member) about the competition well before it was officially
> announced. This would be unfair to the other competitors and there would be
> a potential conflict of interest. I don't rule out making a nice pic for the
> fun of it - if I can find the time - but it wouldn't be competing.

And as much as I, too, would like to have the chance to win a $10,000 super
computer, I am also bowing out of the competition to avoid the conflict of
interest claims.

However, if the winner would like to donate it to me after the competition is over,
I certainly would not refuse the offer. <wink> <wink>
From: Tek
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 9 Aug 2004 04:21:50
Message: <4116fbde$1@news.povray.org>
> Hmm, I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too.  If Gilles is going
> to be competing, perhaps an explanation from the organizers of why this
> contest is not simply a "Gilles Tran Acclamation" is in order.

Woah hold on there! I was just making a joke about how good Gilles is!

As for your bizarre accusations, all I can say is that Gilles is one of the best
pov artists, and probably the most prolific. Obviously everywhere you see the
best pov pictures there will be a lot of his, simply because he makes more
pictures than other artists. Besides which, if you read the rules, you might
notice that the judges don't see who the author is for each image.

I think it's a shame he won't be entering since I'd love to see what he'd
produce for this contest.

-- 
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com
From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: So...
Date: 9 Aug 2004 04:24:59
Message: <4116fc9b$1@news.povray.org>
Well that is dissapointing to hear from both of you.  Perhaps you two could
enter an exhibition entry and compete for an honorable mention?

Skip
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.