POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 03:53:25 EDT (-0400)
  Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome?
Date: 23 Mar 2010 05:10:01
Message: <web.4ba8839e2e5cb7c265f302820@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> >   Manually specifying a bounding box for the sphere sweep object should fix
> > that problem.
>
> Did a test, and that does indeed work; the OP's object renders MUCH faster, and
> the artifacts are confined to the bounding shape. (Remove_Bounds=on needs to be
> in the INI file, though; I don't know how that might affect 'bigger' scenes.
> With it off--the default--POV issues a non-fatal warning, "Unnecessary bounding
> object removed" and eliminates the bounding object.)

Sorry, I made a major blunder there (I hate it when that happens!) The default
for Remove_Bounds is ON, not off. So it's natural that POV will remove the
manually-added bounded_by object, when using the default setting.

To clarify:  The bounded_by object is used correctly by setting
Remove_Bounds=off, OR by setting Bounding_Threshold to 1 or 0. (The OP's scene
has only one object, so Bounding_Threshold needs to be set at that or lower for
automatic bounding to kick in.) In which case, it doesn't seem to matter
if Remove_Bounds is on OR off. A bit of a mystery, but a bit-off topic too.

Ken

Post a reply to this message

Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Sorry, I made a major blunder there (I hate it when that happens!) The default
> for Remove_Bounds is ON, not off. So it's natural that POV will remove the
> manually-added bounded_by object, when using the default setting.

> To clarify:  The bounded_by object is used correctly by setting
> Remove_Bounds=off, OR by setting Bounding_Threshold to 1 or 0. (The OP's scene
> has only one object, so Bounding_Threshold needs to be set at that or lower for
> automatic bounding to kick in.) In which case, it doesn't seem to matter
> if Remove_Bounds is on OR off. A bit of a mystery, but a bit-off topic too.

  I understood your mistake the first time, and it doesn't change my opinion
that POV-Ray removing by default your manual bounding object from the sphere
sweep is a design mistake worth of a bug report.

  It may be a good idea to remove a manual bounding box eg. if it has been
applied to a sphere primitive, because in that case the bounding box will
only make rendering the sphere slower. However, in the case of a sphere
sweep this is clearly not a case, hence a special case is warranted.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message