POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? : Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? Server Time
17 Apr 2024 23:42:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome?
From: Warp
Date: 23 Mar 2010 17:21:49
Message: <4ba930ed@news.povray.org>
> Why not simply output a warning whenever user-specified bounding boxes
> are removed, regardless of object type?

  Because default behavior should be that of the least surprise.

  Nowadays nobody adds bounding shapes to objects (this was only the case
with POV-Ray 2.x and earlier, where automatic bounding was poor or even
inexistent), so it would be better to *not* remove bounding boxes by default,
and have the automatic removal as an option to be specified in the ini file.

  I'm not exactly sure anymore, but I have a faint memory that POV-Ray doesn't
actually remove bounding objects from infinite objects (such as quartics).
If that's the case, then sphere_sweep could simply be flagged as "infinite"
to get that behavior.

--
                                                          - Warp