POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? : Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:52:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome?
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Mar 2010 05:10:01
Message: <web.4ba8839e2e5cb7c265f302820@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> >   Manually specifying a bounding box for the sphere sweep object should fix
> > that problem.
>
> Did a test, and that does indeed work; the OP's object renders MUCH faster, and
> the artifacts are confined to the bounding shape. (Remove_Bounds=on needs to be
> in the INI file, though; I don't know how that might affect 'bigger' scenes.
> With it off--the default--POV issues a non-fatal warning, "Unnecessary bounding
> object removed" and eliminates the bounding object.)

Sorry, I made a major blunder there (I hate it when that happens!) The default
for Remove_Bounds is ON, not off. So it's natural that POV will remove the
manually-added bounded_by object, when using the default setting.

To clarify:  The bounded_by object is used correctly by setting
Remove_Bounds=off, OR by setting Bounding_Threshold to 1 or 0. (The OP's scene
has only one object, so Bounding_Threshold needs to be set at that or lower for
automatic bounding to kick in.) In which case, it doesn't seem to matter
if Remove_Bounds is on OR off. A bit of a mystery, but a bit-off topic too.

Ken