POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? : Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:36:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 23 Mar 2010 12:08:49
Message: <4ba8e791$1@news.povray.org>
On 18.03.10 17:29, Warp wrote:
> Kenneth<kdw### [at] earthlinknet>  wrote:
>> (Remove_Bounds=on needs to be
>> in the INI file, though; I don't know how that might affect 'bigger' scenes.
>> With it off--the default--POV issues a non-fatal warning, "Unnecessary bounding
>> object removed" and eliminates the bounding object.)
>
>    IMO that's a design mistake in POV-Ray worth of a bug report.

It is an ancient but with the spline interpolation bounding computations not
working. It has been known ever since sphere_sweeps where added to POV-Ray
(as the bug existed in the original source). It was even discussed back then
( 3.5 beta), but nobody ever volunteered to implement the somewhat
complicated mathematical solution to computing the correct bounding for
spline based sweeps :-(

	Thorsten