POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? : Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 07:40:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is sphere_sweep known to be troublesome?
From: Warp
Date: 23 Mar 2010 11:57:07
Message: <4ba8e4d3@news.povray.org>
Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Sorry, I made a major blunder there (I hate it when that happens!) The default
> for Remove_Bounds is ON, not off. So it's natural that POV will remove the
> manually-added bounded_by object, when using the default setting.

> To clarify:  The bounded_by object is used correctly by setting
> Remove_Bounds=off, OR by setting Bounding_Threshold to 1 or 0. (The OP's scene
> has only one object, so Bounding_Threshold needs to be set at that or lower for
> automatic bounding to kick in.) In which case, it doesn't seem to matter
> if Remove_Bounds is on OR off. A bit of a mystery, but a bit-off topic too.

  I understood your mistake the first time, and it doesn't change my opinion
that POV-Ray removing by default your manual bounding object from the sphere
sweep is a design mistake worth of a bug report.

  It may be a good idea to remove a manual bounding box eg. if it has been
applied to a sphere primitive, because in that case the bounding box will
only make rendering the sphere slower. However, in the case of a sphere
sweep this is clearly not a case, hence a special case is warranted.

--
                                                          - Warp