POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User Server Time
3 Jul 2024 15:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: waggy
Subject: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User
Date: 3 Sep 2009 17:55:00
Message: <web.4aa03abfcd3e2c5cf99d05c80@news.povray.org>
I would appreciate feedback and corrections on how I managed to get
povray-3.7.0.beta.33 installed and mostly working on one node of a Rocks Linux
cluster as a regular (non-privileged) user.

  * X Windows display does not work at all, as the installation notes suggest.

  * I was able to get boost recognized only by compiling POV-Ray static.

    * The resulting executable is about 4 MB.

  * I used default optimization.  (Is it worth trying variations?)

I posted details of the installation process on my wiki.

http://wiki.waggy.org/dokuwiki/povray/shamu_install

Although with this more-or-less standard installation each POV-Ray instance uses
only the eight processors on one node, I intend to use the software primarily
for animations and plan to write a script to render individual frames using a
separate instance on all 24 nodes.  Eventually I may be able to convince the
system administrators to install it properly, but it will be difficult to do so
until the software is out of beta.

I am by no means any kind of Linux guru, and may well have done something
terribly wrong, or at least unconventional.  But since I'll be passing this
along to the high-performance computing class I'm assisting with this term, any
suggestions to improve my method (or reduce my madness) would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Post a reply to this message

>   * X Windows display does not work at all, as the installation notes suggest.

This is likely just due to the required header files missing.

> I posted details of the installation process on my wiki.

You may want to change the line reading

     ./configure COMPILED_BY="David Wagner <hon### [at] handbasketorg>"

lest everyone takes that literally ;-)

> Although with this more-or-less standard installation each POV-Ray instance uses
> only the eight processors on one node, I intend to use the software primarily
> for animations and plan to write a script to render individual frames using a
> separate instance on all 24 nodes.  Eventually I may be able to convince the
> system administrators to install it properly, but it will be difficult to do so
> until the software is out of beta.

A Linux cluster, you say? I guess that would be separate machines (each
with their own main memory) linked via a network-ish infrastructure,
right? In that case, a "properly installed" copy will not be able to
make use of the whole thing either (except by running independent
instances as you intend to do for animations): As of now, POV-Ray
supports multithreading, but not distributed computing, as parts of it
still rely on access to a common address space.

Post a reply to this message

> This is likely just due to the required header files missing.

Thanks!  I'll see if I can track these down.

> You may want to change the line reading
>
>      ./configure COMPILED_BY="[snip]

I was on the fence about this due to the intended audience, a class full of
graduate engineering students with big, gnarly computational problems and
(assumed) zero Linux experience, but I took your advice and obfuscated it a
bit.

> A Linux cluster, you say? I guess that would be separate machines (each
> with their own main memory) linked via a network-ish infrastructure,
> right? In that case, a "properly installed" copy will not be able to
> make use of the whole thing either (except by running independent
> instances as you intend to do for animations): As of now, POV-Ray
> supports multithreading, but not distributed computing, as parts of it
> still rely on access to a common address space.

It's my understanding the cluster has some tools installed to manage these kinds
of batch jobs far better than I'll be able to do with a shell script.  The
admins install applications (such as MatLab, Octave, and presumably POV-Ray) as
modules which need to be loaded before use, which I assumed was at least in part
for efficient resource management.  I'm headed for two days of training at the
main University of Texas campus (in Austin where Shamu's "big brother" is; I'm
at UT San Antonio) in a couple of weeks to find out how wrong I am.  :)

Post a reply to this message

> It's my understanding the cluster has some tools installed to manage these kinds
> of batch jobs far better than I'll be able to do with a shell script.  The
> admins install applications (such as MatLab, Octave, and presumably POV-Ray) as
> modules which need to be loaded before use, which I assumed was at least in part
> for efficient resource management.  I'm headed for two days of training at the
> main University of Texas campus (in Austin where Shamu's "big brother" is; I'm
> at UT San Antonio) in a couple of weeks to find out how wrong I am.  :)

I'd be eager to hear about it.

Post a reply to this message