POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User Server Time
6 Jul 2024 05:05:21 EDT (-0400)
  Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User
From: waggy
Date: 3 Sep 2009 17:55:00
Message: <web.4aa03abfcd3e2c5cf99d05c80@news.povray.org>
I would appreciate feedback and corrections on how I managed to get
povray-3.7.0.beta.33 installed and mostly working on one node of a Rocks Linux
cluster as a regular (non-privileged) user.

  * X Windows display does not work at all, as the installation notes suggest.

  * I was able to get boost recognized only by compiling POV-Ray static.

    * The resulting executable is about 4 MB.

  * I used default optimization.  (Is it worth trying variations?)

I posted details of the installation process on my wiki.

http://wiki.waggy.org/dokuwiki/povray/shamu_install

Although with this more-or-less standard installation each POV-Ray instance uses
only the eight processors on one node, I intend to use the software primarily
for animations and plan to write a script to render individual frames using a
separate instance on all 24 nodes.  Eventually I may be able to convince the
system administrators to install it properly, but it will be difficult to do so
until the software is out of beta.

I am by no means any kind of Linux guru, and may well have done something
terribly wrong, or at least unconventional.  But since I'll be passing this
along to the high-performance computing class I'm assisting with this term, any
suggestions to improve my method (or reduce my madness) would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!