POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User : Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User Server Time
6 Jul 2024 04:07:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User
From: waggy
Date: 4 Sep 2009 04:15:01
Message: <web.4aa0cc633a4c7b14f99d05c80@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> This is likely just due to the required header files missing.

Thanks!  I'll see if I can track these down.

> You may want to change the line reading
>
>      ./configure COMPILED_BY="[snip]

I was on the fence about this due to the intended audience, a class full of
graduate engineering students with big, gnarly computational problems and
(assumed) zero Linux experience, but I took your advice and obfuscated it a
bit.

> A Linux cluster, you say? I guess that would be separate machines (each
> with their own main memory) linked via a network-ish infrastructure,
> right? In that case, a "properly installed" copy will not be able to
> make use of the whole thing either (except by running independent
> instances as you intend to do for animations): As of now, POV-Ray
> supports multithreading, but not distributed computing, as parts of it
> still rely on access to a common address space.

It's my understanding the cluster has some tools installed to manage these kinds
of batch jobs far better than I'll be able to do with a shell script.  The
admins install applications (such as MatLab, Octave, and presumably POV-Ray) as
modules which need to be loaded before use, which I assumed was at least in part
for efficient resource management.  I'm headed for two days of training at the
main University of Texas campus (in Austin where Shamu's "big brother" is; I'm
at UT San Antonio) in a couple of weeks to find out how wrong I am.  :)