POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User : Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User Server Time
6 Jul 2024 04:47:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User
From: clipka
Date: 4 Sep 2009 02:15:28
Message: <4aa0b080$1@news.povray.org>
waggy schrieb:

>   * X Windows display does not work at all, as the installation notes suggest.

This is likely just due to the required header files missing.

> I posted details of the installation process on my wiki.

You may want to change the line reading

     ./configure COMPILED_BY="David Wagner <hon### [at] handbasketorg>"

lest everyone takes that literally ;-)

> Although with this more-or-less standard installation each POV-Ray instance uses
> only the eight processors on one node, I intend to use the software primarily
> for animations and plan to write a script to render individual frames using a
> separate instance on all 24 nodes.  Eventually I may be able to convince the
> system administrators to install it properly, but it will be difficult to do so
> until the software is out of beta.

A Linux cluster, you say? I guess that would be separate machines (each
with their own main memory) linked via a network-ish infrastructure,
right? In that case, a "properly installed" copy will not be able to
make use of the whole thing either (except by running independent
instances as you intend to do for animations): As of now, POV-Ray
supports multithreading, but not distributed computing, as parts of it
still rely on access to a common address space.