POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User : Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User Server Time
6 Jul 2024 04:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Installing Beta 33 Under Linux as a Regular User
From: clipka
Date: 28 Sep 2009 08:21:39
Message: <4ac0aa53$1@news.povray.org>
waggy schrieb:

> But I put together a much simpler scheme that may be more appropriate for a
> shared cluster using the installed job queue manager.  All I needed to write
> were two scripts: one to create job submission tickets, and one to run POV-Ray
> on the frame range (or image part) associated with each task number.

That sounds like a pretty plausible approach indeed.

> The only performance problem I'm having is with the delay of as much as a few
> seconds between a node finishing a frame range and the queue manager pushing the
> next task onto it.

I guess the impact of this could be reduced by increasing the number of
frames per job package.

 > I also anticipate decreased performance on images with
> (single-thread) parse times approaching trace times.

Why should that /decreasse/ performance? At present, parsing is done
over and over again for each image anyway. (Of course it will not max
out the node while parsing, but this would be the case on a single-node
system as well.)

 > I have had some success
> overcoming these problems by running two tasks (two POV-Ray instances) on each
> node at markedly different niceness to keep each node busy.  (Niceness is used
> in an attempt decrease task-switching a bit and to help stagger render times.)
> However, this works a bit too well as the processing environments I have
> available watch for time-averaged node overloading, and during my tests, many
> nodes stop accepting new jobs for a while when they have more than 12 active
> threads on an 8-core node, then alarm when over 14.

Hmm... it might be an interesting idea for animations to have POV-Ray
run parse threads for a number of frames in parallel (depending on
available cores), then render the batch of frames.