POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Shift of interpolated images Server Time
30 Jun 2024 13:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Shift of interpolated images (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: clipka
Subject: Shift of interpolated images
Date: 30 Apr 2010 08:52:53
Message: <4bdad2a5@news.povray.org>
The attached image (1) shows the effect of interpolation on images; from
left to right:

- "interpolate 0", i.e. no interpolation
- "interpolate 2", i.e. bilinear
- "interpolate 3" (currently not supported)
- "interpolate 4", i.e. normalized distance

In all cases, the black dot is exactly at the center.

As can quite easily be seen, when interpolation is activated the image
appears slightly shifted to the bottom-right, in the order of magnitude
of half a pixel.

Normally I'd just fix that offset, but it has probably been there since
eons - and changing it might actually break a few scenes that have
deliberately worked around this issue (I have at least once designed
such a scene).

How do you feel about it?

My personal vote would be to fix it nonetheless, to end up like shown in
the attached image (2). (And yes, that's bicubic interpolation you see
in the "interpolate 3" field.)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '_interpolation_shift.png' (25 KB) Download '_interpolation_fix.png' (30 KB)

Preview of image '_interpolation_shift.png'
_interpolation_shift.png

Preview of image '_interpolation_fix.png'
_interpolation_fix.png

> My personal vote would be to fix it nonetheless, to end up like shown in
> the attached image (2). (And yes, that's bicubic interpolation you see
> in the "interpolate 3" field.)

I guess that explains your recent Wiki activity! I'd vote yes as well
...if it means picking up the bicubic feature while you're at it :-)

Post a reply to this message

Am 30.04.2010 16:14, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 04/30/2010 09:52 AM, clipka wrote:
>> My personal vote would be to fix it nonetheless, to end up like shown in
>> the attached image (2). (And yes, that's bicubic interpolation you see
>> in the "interpolate 3" field.)
>
> I guess that explains your recent Wiki activity! I'd vote yes as well
> ...if it means picking up the bicubic feature while you're at it :-)

I can add the bicubic feature without changing the old interpolation
methods' behavior, so no conditionals here please ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> The attached image (1) shows the effect of interpolation on images; from
> left to right:
>
> - "interpolate 0", i.e. no interpolation
> - "interpolate 2", i.e. bilinear
> - "interpolate 3" (currently not supported)
> - "interpolate 4", i.e. normalized distance
>
> In all cases, the black dot is exactly at the center.
>
> As can quite easily be seen, when interpolation is activated the image
> appears slightly shifted to the bottom-right, in the order of magnitude
> of half a pixel.
>
> Normally I'd just fix that offset, but it has probably been there since
> eons - and changing it might actually break a few scenes that have
> deliberately worked around this issue (I have at least once designed
> such a scene).
>
> How do you feel about it?
>
> My personal vote would be to fix it nonetheless, to end up like shown in
> the attached image (2). (And yes, that's bicubic interpolation you see
> in the "interpolate 3" field.)

I've got code to correct for this in my DF3 Proximity macros - the same problem
affects voxels with interpolation. I can change my macros if you change POV, but
is there a way to query a specific sub-version of POV? Can I query if I'm
running beta 37 vs beta 38?

Also - are you sure its a bug? I managed to convince myself that it's the
correct behavior if the pixel's value is defined for the pixels coordinate (e.g.
<0,0>, <1,4> or <1023,1023>) rather than half a pixel across (e.g. <0.5,0.5>,
<1.5,4.5> or <1023.5,1023.5>). Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message