POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Shift of interpolated images : Re: Shift of interpolated images Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:57:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shift of interpolated images
From: clipka
Date: 30 Apr 2010 16:36:14
Message: <4bdb3f3e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.04.2010 21:34, schrieb Edouard:

> I've got code to correct for this in my DF3 Proximity macros - the same problem
> affects voxels with interpolation. I can change my macros if you change POV, but
> is there a way to query a specific sub-version of POV? Can I query if I'm
> running beta 37 vs beta 38?

No, unfortunately there is no way to query sub-versions. You'll probably
have to make a cut as soon as you switch to beta 38 (or whichever will
introduce that change), and pretend that all 3.7 sub-versions have
always behaved that way.

After all, betas are still work in progress, so the behavior of version
3.7 is not fully defined until that version proper is released.

> Also - are you sure its a bug? I managed to convince myself that it's the
> correct behavior if the pixel's value is defined for the pixels coordinate (e.g.
> <0,0>,<1,4>  or<1023,1023>) rather than half a pixel across (e.g.<0.5,0.5>,
> <1.5,4.5>  or<1023.5,1023.5>). Does that make sense?

Well, I guess that's a matter of definition. But I'm instead going by
visual appearance, and cannot help but notice that the image /visually/
shifts by half a pixel when turning on interpolation. And /that/ I do
call a bug. If I want to smoothen an image, I typically don't want it to
shift.

BTW, I didn't pay any thought to DF3s yet, so thanks for drawing my
attention to those; while they use different code, I think it makes
sense to have the same behavior for images and DF3s alike.