POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location Server Time
4 Jul 2024 12:56:03 EDT (-0400)
  Install location (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Install location
Date: 25 Jan 2010 11:38:26
Message: <4b5dc902$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> I don't know a lot of software that can be installed without
> administrator rights on Windows...

I've seen one or two, mainly stuff served off a web server to interact with
the web services one particular company offers, like online meeting managers
and such. That, and a few packages like Tcl and some games. If you like, I
can spin up a XP VM and see where an old version of Tcl puts itself when you
ask for a per-user install, since it's a similar sort of language-processing
package.

The ones I've seen recently create a directory for themselves under the
parent directory of "my documents". (I.e., "my documents" isn't really your
"home" directory any more than "Desktop" is.) That might be a better place
to put things in future releases, since it's less obtrusive.  And I'm
*pretty* sure you can change the association for files on a per-user basis,
but I might be misremembering that.

Alternately, putting the code under local appdata and the data under roaming
appdata might make a lot of sense also.

Of course, all that assumes you can tell whether you're actually installing
for one user or for everyone. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do