POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:49:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Rocco
Date: 29 Jan 2010 15:20:00
Message: <web.4b6341e72144d3b02d04182c0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> I thought one of the reasons of not allowing someone Admin rights (eg in a
> corporate setting) was to stop them being able to install new programs
> (amongst other things)?

The main reason is to manage rights, to protect the operating system (most
malwares have limited impact when running in non admin). Managing rights is to
ensure that a user will not do something dangerous such as installing a
spyware-based program in a corporate environment and transform a single computer
in a spam server.

This is for corporate environment or schools, public computers...

In a home computer, most users are admin by default, and if not, they can be
admin when they need. So, if a user wants to install POVRay at home, he doesn't
need to ask the admin "hey, can I install POVRay", he can run the software as
admin.

Okay, you win. I will manage to create a portable POVRay, i am downloading the
source code now... For sure, if I have enough time and this works, I'll share
the trick here (or not if the POVRay team releases a portable version before
me!).