POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Rocco
Date: 1 Feb 2010 16:10:00
Message: <web.4b6742d62144d3b06d5a8c5b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:

> I don't really know what you mean here.  My idea is that POV installs just
> like any other program, which requires Admin rights to install in the usual
> place "Program Files".  Why the big effort and hacky workarounds to allow
> POV to be installed without Admin rights into some bizarre location?

For me, here is how I define a "portable" program :

- In most case you have a zip archive (or a self-extracting package).
- You may extract it anywhere you want. Even external USB drive or memory card.
- It can run on the computer without needing any dependencies. The files are
stored in a directory structure.
- No registry writes, no DLL in Windows directory or program files.
- Uninstall is very easy : simply remove the directory where you extracted it
and the operating system remains clean.

The "one-two-three click" installers are the easy way for most people, and can
do more : associate files, install shared libraries for other programs, plugins,
but need more privileges.