POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Install location : Re: Install location Server Time
7 Jul 2024 06:47:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install location
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 25 Jan 2010 15:09:52
Message: <op.u63uaq2k7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:43:20 +0100, Chris Cason
<del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:

> The problem is I can't necessarily tell if it will fail. If I ask the API
> if the installer has write privilege, it tells me "yes". And if it does
> write, the writes are then diverted into the user's profile. This is by
> design, to 'help' legacy software. It's a massive PITA though.

This feature is called "Virtualization" and can be disabled by embedding a
manifest with a requestedExecutionLevel.

If that messes with the ability to install POV-Ray without administrative
privileges, I think a better solution is to do what Warp suggested and
just not have that as a default option.

--
FE